1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I still don't make resolutions.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My next door neighbor had a baby boy on Thanksgiving night, and my boss's Executive Assistant had a son in October.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
My stepsister, Angela, lost her battle with breast cancer. She fought pretty hard, but there was just too much. We weren't close at all, but I am sorry for my dad and my other siblings and step siblings who knew her so well, and loved her so much.
5. What countries did you visit?
I didn't leave the United States at all in 2010, but I watched a lot of rugby played in Australia, South Africa, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom.... does that count?
6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
Well, last year I said I wanted to have a new car and a book deal, an I got the car, and the book deal? Well.... I suppose 50% isn't bad. This year I would really like to continue to serve others, and walk my path (sort of like Caine from Kung Fu).
7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Election day. The Democrats got kicked in the balls, and truthfully it was deserved. Not because they performed poorly (although many did), but because they did even make an attempt at countering the Republican echo chamber of alarmist fear-mongering. That kind of crap might make bad politics, and it might make dupes out of a lot of people, but it is raw and emotional which are the things that make people get out and vote in mid-term elections.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I can't point to anything specific, but I think that I was able to help others in various small ways throughout the year.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Once again, I failed at shedding major poundage.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
No major injuries, and no major illnesses. Seasonal allergies and an ugly bout with the flu, but on the whole, I am still ticking like a dependable Timex.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My new car!
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Barack Obama: Despite idiot Teabaggers, Birthers, a certain Republican Congressmen from South Carolina, and a certain idiot Senator from Connecticut, he has remained gracious, calm, and fairly unflappable. One thing that he didn't do, despite my sincerest wishes, was to recognize the futility of continuing to fight in Afghanistan.
13. Whose behavior appalled you?
Senator Mitch McConnell (R) Kentucky. What a despicable thing it is for an American Senator to state that the objective of his caucus is not to govern, but to unseat the President of The United States. For shame, sir!
14. Where did most of your money go?
Food, bills, vacation, living.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Going to the seminary for a class on doing ministry with youth... which, as it turns out, is not the same thing as youth ministry.
16. What song will always remind you of 2010?
Cee Lo Green's "F*** You" , I will tell you, though, I prefer the Gwyneth Paltrow/Glee cast version, as I don't think gratuitous profanity improves a song.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier - I have found new direction
b) thinner or fatter? Not thinner, but no fatter.
c) richer or poorer? Poorer. I got a promotion last year, but I am now supporting my grandmother.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Gone to the doctor.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
In Orlando! We have talked about going to Disneyworld at Christmas for years, and we figured that we needed to do it in 2010 whie Soccer Girl was still a child... not a sullen teenager. We had a great time.
21. Did you fall in love in 2010?
I fall in love practically every day.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
The new Hawaii 5-0 (yeah, yeah, I know)
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No, I'm not much of a hater.
24. What was the best book you read?
"Mission of Honor" by David Weber
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I have been listening to some really great college Acapella groups.
26. What did you want and get?
An answer about what I want to do with my post law enforcement life.
27. What did you want and not get?
A tablet computer
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
I didn't go to the movies this year.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
My 47th birthday was just a month ago. I went to work, and although it was a busy day, I was pleased to be greeted from friends around the world via telephone and Facebook, my blog and other places. The well-wishes of others makes me happy. I made my birthday dinner the night before, so I didn't have to cook. We took Olivia to Girl Scouts and then had our customary Wal-Mart date, and then home for presents. Like many men, I pretend that I don't like presents, it just isn't true. I like presents. As a matter of fact, I love getting presents. If any of you ever come visit me, bring presents.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
The same as last year: The full (and immediate) withdrawal of American forces from Iraq and Afghanistan, not much... I'm a pretty happy guy. Oh, and a helicopter landing on my lawn, which unloads about 20 million dollars for delivery to yours truly. That would have been pretty cool.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
My answer is unchanged from last year: Fashion? Are you kidding?... I don't do "fashion"
32. What kept you sane?
Again, my answer remains the same: My incredible, monk-like discipline... or the fact that as a rule, I NEVER, EVER worry about anything.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Well there is that red-haired young woman from "Mad Men" She isn't hard to look at. Christina Hendricks... that's her name. Hmmm since my blog is going away in a few days, and I won't be returning to this meme again, I think that I should mention more than one celebrity. Kim Kardashian. Yup, you read that correctly. I know that she and her sisters are media whores, but seriously... look at her. Your friend GF doesn't find skinny and ropey attractive. Oh, and Salma Hayek is still right up there in my book. Rawr!
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
The passage of meaningful healthcare reform. What we got wasn't perfect, but it is a good start.
35. Who did you miss?
The in-shape Gunfighter. I missed him last year, and I REALLY miss him this year!
36. Who was the best new person you met?
Our new Pastor. She is energetic, smart, and filled with the spirit. She has only been on the job since march and is really doing exceptionally well.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.
I already knew this, but it was really thrown in my face this year, right up to Christmas day: When you give people the opportunity to disappoint you in a profound manner, they usually will.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
The song remains the same: "A Mighty Fortress is our God.... A bulwark never failing"
It is my great hope and prayer that all of you enjoy the blessings of peace, happiness, love, friendship, togetherness, and God's grace for the coming year.